Tuesday 18 December 2012

Around the backyard.

When we moved to Melbourne almost 5 years ago my hubby wanted us to move into a trendy inner city apartment.

I did see the fun in that but knew I loved having a yard and also having kids I knew they would want the ease of walking out the back/front rather than getting dressed and packed and walk to a park to play.

So we did get a house with a really good sized backyard and even the front has plenty of room to have a play. The back has a lot of fruit tress to, so I am very blessed!

I was fortunate enough to have a 2 wonderful little veggie boxes made for me. By the very resourceful and talented husband. The sleepers are actual railway sleeps from the side of the road where that had just been dug up from the train line.

I love them to bits and over the years have had so many veggies and herbs thrive in them.

This year I have not been as focused on the veg garden as Baby O has taken up a lot of my time. But what I have planted and cared for have rewarded me and the family so much.

I think there is nothing better than being able to get veg from your backyard and on to the dinner table. Makes me one happy lady!

So here are some shots from the backyard.
Veg Box No.1 - filled with Mint, Silver beet and Roma Tom's
Veg box No.2 - filled with Cabbage's, Squash and Baby Leeks
My little herb patch - Viet Mint, Thyme and Rosemary

Figs anyone!? Seriously if your in Melbourne let me know!
Vietnamese Mint...I am in love!
Rainbow Silver beet
I see you hiding Roma Tomato
Hello baby Squash
Beautiful Broccoli
Hello there little cabbage head!
The Apricot Tree
Our very overgrown Fig Tree

And we have Figs!!!
Our amazing Plum Tree
Plums are a plenty
Our girl Sunny
What a beauty!
Just the right size for our family




Red Cabbage will be part of Crunchy Noodle Salad within the week!
Thanks to the Broccoli we had a great pasta for dinner
 Dinner was the meal above!

Wholemeal Spaghetti with Chicken, Broccoli and Basil Pesto
1/2 Pack of Wholemeal Pasta
300gm of cooked Chicken thighs - sliced
4 heap Tbs of Pesto
1 Small Head of Broccoli - chopped up into small florets
Olive oil
2 Cloves Garlic - crushed
S&P
Parmesan Cheese - Grated

Real simple dish.
Cook pasta as per pack instructions. Just before the pasta is cooked through in the Broccoli for about a minute. Drain pasta and Broccoli together and set aside.
In a fry pan add a little olive oil, the crushed cloves of garlic and pesto. Fry off for a minute then add in the pasta & broccoli and Chicken (Now I had some left over cooked Chicken Thighs form the night before so I sliced them up and in they went)
Give a good mix through and makes sure everything is heated through. Have a taste add in salt and pepper and any extra oil if you think it needs it.

Pop into bowls and sprinkle some Parmesan on top.

Easy peesy lemon squeezy!































No comments:

Post a Comment