Friday 18 May 2012

I need a holiday..STAT!


I know I should not be complaining about needing a holiday as I’m currently on maternity leave.

But being a mum is REALLY HARD WORK! 

I seriously take my hat off to all mums and especially mum’s who have more than 2 children. I don’t not know how you do it. A lady at my daughter’s school has 6..yes 6 children. Her eldest is in year 12 and her youngest in Prep with my daughter. She is always happy, smiling, on time to school, no grey hair and is as skinny as a rake. She sickens me and inspires me every day!

So what’s been so hard for me…well

The last few days have been increasingly challenging with my 5 month old as he is teething and nothing is making him happy. 

And my daughter has more things on than anyone I know (such a social butterfly). She has also decided that making it as hard as possible in the mornings is highly entertaining.

I don’t like negotiating with her.  So there is no “if you get dressed I will give you a dollar for the tuck shop”. I just say “if you don’t get dressed you go to school in your PJ’s” and walk away. Problem is with 2 minutes before the bell is about to go she is walking around the house in her underwear. We did manage to get dressed today and across to school, but she wasn’t looking her best – hair was everywhere and I’m pretty sure she didn’t brush her teeth. She did manage to put on some of my perfume.

But I try not to let this stuff get me down. As I know the finish line is in sight and so is that glass of wine.

I also know that it’s all just a phase and it will pass.

So with the stress levels slowly building I just feel like I need a holiday or even just a getaway.

Oh wait a minute…I am about to have a getaway.

My 2 beautiful friends from Adelaide are coming next weekend and we are going down the Peninsula for a night. We are going to soak in the Hot Springs, dine out, and enjoy some wine and each other.

Superdooper fantastic…that will get me through!

I have been fortunate enough this year to do a trip home to Adelaide by myself and now this trip by myself because my dear hubby loves having some time alone with the kids. He is very supportive in all the things I want to do. I am very lucky!

I also think he knows how much I wanted to go away with my family to Bali this year but I can’t due to finances. So me sneaking off for a few nights here and there is his way of saying “this year is going to be tough but enjoy what we can afford”

For those of you who know me, I pretty much go up to Bali every year or so. Sometimes just on girl’s trips, sometimes with the family. I love this place so much and I know not many people do but I find it relaxing and enjoyable and oh so cheap!  The main thing I love about the place is the food. I could eat noodles and rice every day of my life. I have tried to recreate some of the dishes I have had over there. I have even gone into Bali supermarkets and bought some really random packets of spices and sauces. But they are never really the same.

So I have pre warned my hubby I will no doubt be a grump this coming October when I know all my family is away in Bali having a great time. But I will try and live through the month and maybe cook a lot of Bali inspired dishes instead of being there.

Like this one.

My “cheats” Mie Goreng.

Now depending on how many you’re feeding depends on how many packs of noodles you will need. I use 2 packets to feed 2 adults and 1 child in the recipe below. Just adjust your veg etc to how many your feeding.

The reason this is a cheats meal is because the packets of noodles already have a lot of the sauces and spices in them. Which you will need to use.

2 packets of Mi Goreng Noodles
500g Chicken Thighs
½ Onion
½ Carrot
1 Cup of Peas
1 bunch of Asian Greens – I used Pak Choy
1-2Tsb Oil
1Tsb Fish Sauce
1Tsb Soy (I use light soy)
1-2Tsb Kecup Manis
2 Cloves of Garlic - micro plane
1 Thumb size piece of Ginger - micro plane
3 Eggs (or one for each person)
Fried Shallots – optional

OK first thing I do is boil up the noodles are per packet instructions. Drain and then add a little oil to the noodles so they don’t stick and set aside.

Then cut up all your veg and chicken so it’s ready to go. Once we start it’s a really quick meal. 

In a wok add your 1Tsb of oil and fry off your chicken, once cooked remove to a plate.

Wipe out the wok and let’s get going again!

Add in the oil from the packets of noodles, then your onion, garlic and ginger and fry off. Keep a low – medium flame so it doesn’t burn.

Then add in all your veg, give it a toss.

Then add in the rest of the noodle packet spices (if you done want/like chilli omit that) along with your soy, fish sauce and Kecup manis. 

Now add in the chicken and your noodles and cook through till everything is hot. Turn off and pop on a lid while you fry your eggs. I cook my eggs both side but keep some goo to the middle.

Serve into bowls, top with your egg and fried shallots. You can also add a slice of lemon if you like.

This is a really tasty meal, packed with veg and great for mid week.

Hope you enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment