Tuesday 15 May 2012

It’s not anal it’s just being organised


On Sundays I try my hardest to get things organised for the week ahead.

I try to make up a batch of muffins or banana bread. I chop up all the bits and pieces for the schools “brain food” and boil up ½ a dozen eggs and pop in the fridge.

 I sit down my daughter and see if there was anything last week I made her for lunch that she would eat again. I have a couple wins during the week, so that makes me happy!

To my disgust though the dear little thing turns to me and says “You know I would love Dora pasta everyday”. OMG I am going to cry….

This can of Dora pasta she speaks of is a BIG sometimes food in our house. It taste terrible, it looks terrible, and I can’t even bring myself to look at the label to see what’s in it. 

You know what I mean right? There are a few things you just turn a blind eye to because you know it makes your kids ridiculously happy! For me this is one of them. So I tell her that’s really food just for home and not school lunch, she kind of believes me and moves on...Phew!

So one other thing I try and get done is a cook up on staples for the week also.

I cook up some rice, quinoa and even a bag of pasta. I then just portion it out to meal sizes and store in those wonderful little zip lock bags. I chuck a few in the fridge and a few in the freezer and away I go.

Since being home on maternity leave it seems the most mental part of my day is around dinner time.
The baby is at his peak of crazy and my daughter is hanging out of the cupboards looking for cans of Dora pasta to eat. So I started cooking dinner earlier in the day, which has worked out really well. I can feed the little ones a bit earlier than dad and I and get them off ready for bed without too much fuss. The problem is when I go back to work in 6 months I won’t be able to do this wonderful cook during the day thing. So last week I trialed cooking at the time I would be getting home – it was interesting that’s for sure.

One thing that seemed to be just a huge time saver was having these pre cooked rice, quinoa or pasta ready to go. As a lot of you know we only have 1 red meat meal a week (which is usually on the weekend) so fish, seafood and chicken and veg don’t take all that long to whip up. So while it was pretty mental, it didn’t take me as long as I thought it would. But there was still a few mid week wines had to get me through.

So if getting a few things cooked up on a Sunday helps overall, why not!

Some people think it’s anal but I think it’s just being organised………………….right?

No comments:

Post a Comment