Saturday 23 June 2012

But Friday is the day I DONT cook...

As most of you know, we are all under the weather in house Hutton!

I am actually the worst by far - 2 weeks of illness that doesn't seem to be going anywhere.

Hubby is back at work and after the last day off school saga, daughter happily kept going to school.

I try to claim that my food is all about being simple and nutritious. Of late that has not been the case! 

I have looked back over the last week's meals and I'm really upset with what I have put up. So no matter how sick I'm feeling I need to pull my finger out next week! And seeing it's the last week of term I'm sure I'm really going to be in the mood ;)

So when I am actually a fully functionally mum after a week of home cooked meals I give myself Fridays off.

I really look forward to it.

But for some reason in my ill stricken stupor I decided to cook this past Friday. I posted a pick of our dinner and got asked for the recipe, so here it is!

Salted Chicken Ribs is one of my daughter and my fav's when we go out for dinner. So I tried to recreate them one night at home and I must say they turned out pretty dam good!

We have them with some Steamed Asian Greens and Red Rice and it really is a yummy Friday/Saturday night (unhealthy) meal.

Salted Chicken Ribs

500g Organic Chicken Ribs
1/4 C Plain Flour (I only ever use wholemeal flour and it is fine)
1tsp Chinese 5 spice
2 1/2tsp Salt
1 1/12tsp White Pepper
Oil for frying (I use Rice Bran oil)

Just put all the flour and spices into a bowl chuck in the ribs and coat well.
Shallow fry in the oil in batches. Drain on some paper towel or even better on a wire rack.

It really is that simple.


I copy the restaurant and fry up a couple cloves of garlic, 2 chopped spring onions and 1 red chilli and pour over the fried chicken at the end.

So YUM! 

And if your looking to do the Red Rice, also easy.

Red Rice

1 1/2 Cups of  Cooked Rice (I use organic Brown Rice)
1Tbl Tomato Paste
2 Cloves of crushed Garlic
1-2Tbl Fish Sauce (taste to see)

Put your cooked rice in a wok with all the other ingredients, stir through till rice is hot!
Tip here for the best rice is to use day old rice. Also season with pepper once cooked.


*Sorry the photo quality is poor - think it needs a clean.







No comments:

Post a Comment