Tuesday 17 July 2012

Hi Ho Hi Ho...back off to school they go!

And there you have it, they are back at school already!

This morning my daughter asked if Dad could make his Sausage Pasta for dinner.

Now I need to fill you in about this pasta she speaks of.

When I met my hubby at the ripe old age of 23 he had one meal in repertoire.

Sausage Pasta!

It consisted of Spaghetti, cut up beef sausages and a jar of pasta sauce.

Sound good?

I like it, but I am not a huge fan of sausages and also thought I probably couldn't eat it too many nights in a row, where he could no problem.

Over the years I have adapted it a little by adding some veg, using wholemeal pasta and good quality sausages.

So I told my little angel that Dad works late during the week so maybe I could do my version of it.

She replied "If you have to"...nice!

Now, my plans of watching what I eat and starting some exercise have not really eventuated just yet. So last night I really went all out with normal pasta and a massive chunk of white crusty bread with butter. Even a few glasses of Red...I know on a school night!!!!

So below is my version of Dad's Sausage Pasta.

3 Big handfuls of any pasta - I used Spirals
3 Good Sausages - I used Organic Pork

1 Red Capsicum - sliced
A few Basil leaves

Sauce
1 Tin of Organic chopped Tomatoes
2 Cloves of Garlic - Crushed
1/2 Onion - diced
Splash of white wine
2Tsp Raw Sugar
Splash of oil - I use Rice Bran Oil
1 Cup of stock - I used Chook

Ok first get your sausages and take them out the skin. You can just squeeze one end and it will pop out the other - Gross...I know!

Then chop them up into little pieces. And fry so there is some crispy texture on them, then set aside.

For the sauce -  splash in your oil to a fry pan and add you diced onion and garlic, I also added the sliced Caps at this stage to cook off. Then I added in the can of tom's, wine, stock and sugar. Simmer away for about 10-15 min.

While the sauce is doing its thing put on your pasta.

Once pasta is cook add that and your sausage into the sauce and heat through. And your done!

Garnish with some basil if you feel like it.





2 comments: