Wednesday 12 September 2012

Sneaking in the Meat Free Monday's

We don't eat a lot of "meat" but if I go out of my way to mention this is "meat free" it gets a bit of a roll of the eyes from the Hubby.

So I tend not to mention it. Which can get a little hard as so many delicious meals are meat free and I just want to tell the world!

I like the idea of the Meat Free Monday meal, so I have been doing that lately.

I have been super inspired by Veggie-mama's MFM meals and also the delicious looking Onion Tart from Gourmet Girlfriend.

So Monday just gone I gave a couple tarts a crack.

Zucchini and Feta and then a Mushroom with Thyme and Mustard.

I served these with our family favourite salad.

Chickpea and Avocado, which has a little Olive oil and balsamic drizzled over the top. I like to then add a heap of white pepper to my share.

Last night dinner was gobbled up in record time! I think its the pastry for the kiddies, they love flaky pastry. And hubby was very impressed.

These are dead set simple to make. And go crazy with flavour combo's!

Zucchini and Feta Tart
2 Zucchini - thinly sliced (I used a potato peeler)
1/2 Block of Feta - Crumbled
2 Sheets of Puff Pastry (so will make 4 tarts)
1 Egg - for egg wash

Slice you Zucchini's and pan fry, I used my griddle pan say they had nice char lines on them (very fancy). Once cooked set aside. Get 1 sheet of your thawed puff out and cut in half. Then get your knife and score a boarder about 2cm in from the side. Once this is down start to assemble, pop the pastry on your oven tray, add some feta first, then the zucchini then more feta. Egg wash the boarder and in the over for 15-20min. Once cooked repeat with your second sheet of puff.

Mushroom with Thyme and Mustard Tart
2 Cups of Mushrooms - chunky sliced
Few sprigs of Thyme
Couple spoonfulls of Dijon Mustard
2 Sheets of Puff Pastry (so will make 4 tarts)
1 Egg - for egg wash
Slice you Mushrooms and pan fry with the Thyme. Once cooked set aside. Follow the same steps above for your pastry. Again, pop the pastry on your oven tray, add some Mustard first, then the Mushrooms.  Egg wash the boarder and in the over for 15-20min. Once cooked repeat with your second sheet of puff.

These have been cut into 3 slices, there is one hiding underneath.

No comments:

Post a Comment